CDEM has both the honor and pleasure of recognizing medical student faculty educators from across the country for their national dedication, innovation and achievements in undergraduate medical education. It is a great opportunity to reward our colleagues for the work they do. The committee is now accepting nominations for four awards to be given at the annual SAEM-CDEM meeting in May 2018 with a deadline of February 28, 2018 for submission. The four CDEM awards are the Young Educator Award, Clerkship Director Award, Distinguished Educator Award and the Innovation Award – please see below for a description of each. Specifically, all nomination packets must include:
- Letter of support from nominator specifying: Which award the candidate is being nominated for.
- How the nominee fulfills the award criteria.
- What is the relationship of the nominator to the nominee (Chair, PD/APD, Colleague etc.) Self nominations are also accepted!
- Curriculum vitae and/or teaching portfolio of the nominee.
- Nominations may also include other supporting documentation, such as a detailed description of curricular innovations, teaching evaluations, letters of support from colleagues, supervisor or students, funded grant or project applications, and publications.
The nomination pockets are reviewed and ranked numerically for each award. Apply here.
CDEM Clerkship Director of the Year Award
This award recognizes an Emergency Medicine Clerkship Director that has made significant contributions to either a 3rd or 4th year emergency medicine rotation. To be eligible for this award, the nominee must currently be the Clerkship Director of a mandatory, selective or elective rotation and have served in that role for a minimum of 5 years. This award is presented at the annual CDEM meeting.
CDEM Young Educator of the Year Award
This award recognizes a medical student educator at the Clinical Instructor or Assistant Professor level and less than 10 years from residency completion who has made significant contributions to teaching and educating medical students. This award is presented at the annual CDEM meeting.
CDEM Distinguished Educator Award
This award recognizes a medical student educator at the Associate Professor or Professor level who has made significant contributions to and has demonstrated sustained excellence in teaching and educating medical students for 10 or more years. This award is not presented annually; rather, it is bestowed on special occasions.
CDEM Award for Innovation in Medical Education
This award recognizes a medical student educator at any faculty rank who has made a significant and innovative contribution to undergraduate medical education. This award is presented at the annual CDEM meeting.